Japanese people love dashi. Also love soy sauce.Ohitashi is a dish in which cooked vegetables are soaked in a sauce made of dashi and soy sauce.
Ohitashi can be made with a variety of vegetables. For example, spinach.
And there are many ways to cook ohitashi. Nibitashi is a dish of boiled vegetables, and yaki-bitashi is a dish of grilled vegetables. This is a recipe for yaki-bitashi.
Ohitashi Eggplant, Zucchini and Bell Pepper
- eggplant 100 g
- zucchini 100 g
- green pepper (*1) 50 g
- sweet red pepper (*1) 50 g
- sesame oil 1 Tbsp
- Cut eggplant, zucchini, and red pepper into thin strips about 5 cm long.
- Cut several slits in the green pepper (*1).
- Add half of the sesame oil to a frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add eggplant and zucchini and saute well, letting the oil soak in.
- When the eggplant and zucchini are nearly cooked, add the remaining sesame oil and add the green pepper and sweet red pepper.
- Stir-fry until browned.
- Add all seasonings (*2) to the pan.
- Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Leave for about 10 minutes to let the seasoning soak in (*3).
For more information about green peppers, sweet red peppers, and paprika, please refer to this article.