This is a side dish that can be completed in a ziplock container. I recommend to using Japanese eggplant. they become tender and best for this.
Black Beauty is Major
Long eggplant = Japanese eggplant
A few years ago, Japanilainen munakoiso (Japanese eggplant) was available only in summer and only at Lidl in Finland. Japanese eggplant is not Senryo eggplant, what is the majprity in Japan, but long eggplant. They are not the majority, but popular also, and the texture is similar to Senryo nasu. These days, you can buy them all year round at large supermarkets. Of course, they cost a certain amount of money.
Japanese Ziplocs are Great
When I came to Finland, I brought a Ziploc container with me. This is pretty high on my list of things I’m glad I brought with me.
Of course, there are storage containers in Finland, too. There are even plastic, microwave-safe ones.
But Ziplocs are transparent and you can see what’s inside, so there’s less chance of accidentally forgetting them in the fridge. They can withstand microwave heating, so they’re great for preparing vegetables. Best of all, they don’t leak, so they are a great help for lunch boxes and BBQs.
Japanese Eggplant with Sweet and Sour Sauce, Easy Side Dish
- Japanese eggplant 150 g
- vinegar (5%) 2 tsp
- soy sauce 2 tsp
- sesame oil 2 tsp
- brown sugar 1 tsp
- roasted sesame seeds
- The whole process can be completed in a Ziploc storage container.Amazon.com: Ziploc Food Storage Meal Prep Containers Reusable for Kitchen Organization, Dishwasher Safe, Variety Pack, 20 Count : Everything ElseBuy Ziploc Food Storage Meal Prep Containers Reusable for Kitchen Organization, Dishwasher Safe, Variety Pack, 20 Count on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualifi...
- Some Finnish and other countries' vinegars are 10%. Check it before using.Vinegar in Finnish Recipes, How and What to Use?If you see vinegar in a Finnish recipe, what should you use? You can also find out how to use Finnish vinegar in Japanese recipes.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 5 cm pieces.
- Soak in water for about 5 minutes to remove any lye.
- Drain, place in a heatproof container, and microwave for about 3 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings to the container, mix well, and serve.
- Leave it for a while for the flavors to meld well.