Winter is all about daikon radish. When I was in Japan, I sometimes used a whole daikon radish to make stew in winter.
In Finland, you can buy daikon in Asian markets. Sometimes you can find them in large supermarkets, but not many people seem to buy them, and the freshness is better in Asian markets.
Simmered Japanese Daikon
- daikon 500 g
- minced pork (or miced chicken) 100 g
- water 500 mL
- rice 1 pinch
- Cut the daikon into 2 cm thick half-moon slices
- Put the daikon radish and 500 mL of water and grains of rice in a pressure cooker over medium heat
- Heat for 10 minutes after the sound of steam and take out the daikon radish
- Put all the radishes, minced meat, and seasonings in a pot and put it on medium heat
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it cool slowly The flavors will soak in while it cools
- Serve and it’s ready!