Sienisalaatti, or mushroom salad in Finland, is a salad of mushrooms and sour cream. It is served on bread or crackers.
The Most Popular Salad
In Finland, salad can mean many things, from the usual green salad to this one with sour cream, and even lettuce.
Frozen Mushroom Is Useful
Sienisalaatti is made from canned mushrooms that have been boiled and soaked in salted water.
Here is the popular Finnish Christmas recipe.
Finnish Mushroom Salad with Sour Cream, Sienisalaatti
- frozen mushrooms (
recipe, *1) 100 g
- fresh mushrooms (or eringi, shimeji, *1) 100 g
- onion 50 g
- sour cream 50 g
- mayonnaise 20 g
- mushroom extract (from frozen mushrooms) 1 tsp
- lemon juice 1 tsp
- salt and pepper
- Finely chop the onions. If they are too spicy, soak them in water for a few minutes.
- Place frozen and fresh mushrooms in a heatproof container and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the container and coarsely chop them. Reserve the remaining mushroom extract in the container.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- In Finland, we use canned mushrooms that have been soaked in brine. Other mushrooms such as cantarella and herkkutatti (porcini) are used. I think Japanese eringi and shimeji mushrooms go well with this dish because they are close in texture and the flavor is not too strong. If you use at least half of the mushrooms, it will be closer to the Finnish taste.