How do you make konjac? You can make konjac from konjac powder in a few hours. Delicious konjac recipes will also be introduced.
Easy to Make Konjac
In fact, it is very easy to make konjac. You can make quite a lot of konjac from a small amount of konjac powder, but if you keep it in the water in which you boil it, you can store it for about a month.
It takes time, but the process itself is not very complicated. The best part is that the freshly made konjac is much more tasty than the store-bought konjac.
Why Konjac Solified
In a word, the mechanism of konjac solidification is “colloidal salting out”.
Glucomannan, the main ingredient of konjac, forms a colloid (hydrophilic colloid) when dissolved in water. This colloid is stable and cannot be easily solidified. Therefore, a strong basic coagulant is added to solidify the konjac. This method of precipitating the hydrophilic colloid by adding a large amount of electrolyte is called salting out.
How to Make Konjac with Konjac Powder
- cold water 1200 mL
- boiling water 600 mL
- konjac powder (
reference product) 50 g
- water 100 mL
- coagulant (or baking soda) 2 g
- disposable rubber gloves
- a large pot (NOT alminium)
- flat container (used as a mold)
- Put 1,200 mL of room temperature water and 600 mL of boiling water in a large enough pot. It should become between 30°C to 40°C, no need to check it though.
- Add the konjac powder a little at a time, stirring well with a spatula.
- Continue to mix for about 5 minutes until it becomes sticky.
- Let it stand for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Make sure it is jelly-like and solidified.
- Dissolve the coagulant in 100 mL of water and put it in a pot.
- Put on rubber gloves and mix the pot well, breaking up the hardened konjac.
- When it becomes resilient, put it in a mold to form it. Normally, the konjak thickness is approximately 3cm. Can be rolled to a ball by hand.
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Put the shaped konjac into it, boil it for 20-30 minutes and it is ready! Can be stored in the water used for the last boiling for about a month in the refrigerator.
- You can also find recipes using konjac here.konjacArticles of "konjac".
- Tofu, cheese, konjac, how do these foods solidify?The Science of Solidifying - How Cheese and Tofu SolidifyLlet's take a look at some of the foods that are solidified, such as cheese, tofu, and konjac. Do you know the mechanism how they harden?
If you add hijiki, aonori or powdered red pepper, you can add color like commercial konnyaku.