Shrimp is a luxury item in Finland. I tried to buy the tiny little frozen peeled shrimp sold in supermarkets, but they didn’t taste like shrimp at all.
I bought a larger shrimp that was a bit more expensive, and it was barely a shrimp. It was going to be quite small when cooked for a long time, so I decided to make a dish that could be made by quickly boiling water.
Because they are small shrimps, the method of defrosting them is also important. I soaked them in 3% water, the same concentration as seawater, to prevent the water in the meat from leaching out. A little effort goes a long way in making them more delicious.
Shrimp and Avocado Tartar with Kalles Kaviar
- avocado (net) 200 g
- shrimp (frozen) 100 g
- chili pepper (powder) 1/4 tsp
- Dissolve 6g salt (1tsp, not to be used, *1) in 200mL water and add frozen shrimp.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thaw.
- Combine all seasonings in a bowl and mix well.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and quickly boil the shrimp.
- Drain off the water and reserve a few good shaped ones for garnish.
- Cut the avocado into cubes.
- Combine shrimp and avocado in a bowl and mix well.
- Place on a plate and top with the shrimp for garnish.
- Goes well with baguettes or other hard breads.