The Finnish Christmas appetizer is graavilohi. It is a Nordic salted salmon, also known as gravlax. Just salting salmon is an easy way to enjoy a Nordic Christmas.
The Christmas appetizer at Juhani’s home is always a boxed dish = laatikko, cold smoked salmon, and this graavilohi.
Graavilohi, Gravlax is homemade by Juhani’s father, and it is best served on bread with plenty of dill.
In Japan, most people eat salmon sashimi with soy sauce. It is not often eaten with salt. It’s amazing how much salmon tastes better with just salt! This is a surprising dish.
This is a dish that is easy to make and full of Finnish flavor. Please try it.
Here is the popular Finnish Christmas recipe.
Graavilohi Gravlax – Salted Salmon from Northern Europe and Finland
- salmon (for raw eating) 300 g
- rock salt 1 tsp
- white sugar 1/3 tsp
- Place the salmon on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with rock salt and white sugar.
- Wrap the salmon in the cookie sheet and let it sit in the refrigerator for about half a day.
- Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and wipe it with wet kitchen paper to remove excess salt.
- Garnish with dill.
- Slice the salmon into thin slices, mix with dill, and serve on bread or crackers.
- Here is a recipe for a Finnish Christmas dish.Traditional Christmas Recipes from FinlandA collection of traditional Finnish Christmas recipes. From casseroles, ham, and salmon to Christmas cake, gingerbread, and Christmas tarts!