Edamame tofu is named tofu, but it hardens in a different way than tofu.
Firming with Gelatin
On the other hand, this Edamame Tofu uses gelatin to harden. It is the same as jelly.
Gelatin is sold in powder or plate form, but they are both the same thing, just in different forms. Gelatin is obtained from the collagen found in animals and plants. It is mainly a protein made up of many amino acids connected together.
Gelatin is made up of a mesh of proteins. When gelatin is placed in water and heated, the proteins in the gelatin loosen and move freely. To our eyes, the gelatin has dissolved in the hot water.
When it is cooled, the proteins come together again in a network. At this time, water molecules are trapped between the proteins, so it hardens into a jelly.
Heating is Prohibited
Using gelatin to harden edamame tofu is very easy to do, but there is one thing to keep in mind. Even once the gelatin has set, it will melt again when heated. This means that if you heat up the edamame tofu or put it in hot dishes, it will melt. Edamame tofu is for cold tofu only.
Edamame Tofu Hardened with Gelatin: Easy to Make with Frozen Edamame
- Electronic scales
- Measuring spoon
- Heat-resistant container
- Hand blender
- You can use 100g net edamame with pods.
- You can use either powder or sheet gelatin.
- Use soy milk that does not contain sweetener.
- Put the gelatin in water and let it soften.
- Defrost edamame in the microwave.
- Put the hot edamame into the water. This will make it easier to peel off the thin skin.
- Peel the thin skin off the edamame.
- Puree the edamame in a blender.
- Add soy milk and soup stock to the blender.
- If you prefer a smoother texture, strain the puree at this point. (*1)
- Heat the gelatin in the microwave for 30-60 seconds and mix well to dissolve.
- Add the gelatin to the liquid and mix well.
- Pour the liquid into a container and refrigerate.
- You can cook sesame tofu and peanut tofu easily also.Easy Homemade Sesame Tofu with Starch and TahiniYou can make sesame tofu very easily with sesame paste and potato starch. Tasty and healthy side dish. It tastes good with a sweet sauce.Easy Homemade Peanut Tofu with Peanuts ButterYou can make peanuts tofu, a popular dish in Okinawa, with peanuts butter and potato starch. It tastes good with a sweet sauce.
- Tofu, cheese, konjac, how do these foods solidify?The Science of Solidifying - How Cheese and Tofu SolidifyLlet's take a look at some of the foods that are solidified, such as cheese, tofu, and konjac. Do you know the mechanism how they harden?
If you make the edamame fine enough, you don’t need to strain it.