Sushi is a big boom in Finland. Sushi restaurants can be found in every town, and you can buy sushi by weight at the supermarket.
However, I’m from Sushi country, and it is difficult to be satisfied with the quality. It is often the case that Japanese people talk to each other about how good this restaurant is and how not so good that restaurant is. Especially when it comes to the quality of the sushi rice, it’s hard to find something that satisfies me.
Then one day, I realized it. If there is no good sushi, why don’t I just make my own? Fortunately, fresh, raw salmon is always available here. Then all I had to do was to make the sushi rice. So, I made a recipe for sushi rice.
I don’t have a Japanese measuring cup for rice, so even if the recipe says 2 gou, the Japanese unit for rice, it’s not easy. So I converted the rice into volume, and all the seasonings were put together by weight.
By the way, I was surprised when I ate this sushi. I don’t feel thirsty after eating. When I was in Japan, I always felt thirsty after eating sushi at any sushi restaurant, but maybe it was the high salt content.
How to Make Sushi Rice, Rice with Vinegar
- rice (*2) 300 mL
- water 360 mL
- vinegar (5% vinegar, *3) 40 g
- brown sugar 5 g
- salt 3 g
- A large enough bowl
- rice scoop(*1)
- Mix the seasonings. The brown sugar does not need to be fully dissolved.
- Cook the rice. I strongly recommend using sushi rice.Cook rice in a potRice. Simple cooked rice in a normal household pot. The essential ingredient of Japanese cuisine and part of many dishes.Rice in FinlandFinnish likes rice and eat rice a lot. What is different from Japanese rice? Where can we buy? How to use? All things about rice in Finland!
- As soon as the rice is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl (*4).
- Pour the seasoning over the rice and mix with a wooden spoon.