Milk porridge is a symbolic food of Christmas in Finland. The tradition is to put almonds in the pot and whoever hits them gets a present. It goes well with fruit soup.
A Finnish Christmas Staple
Milk Porridge to Try Your Luck
In this milk porridge, it is customary to put a number of almonds in the pot and give a small surprise to whoever wins it. Unfortunately, Juhani doesn’t remember finding any almonds and getting a surprise. But he really loves milk porridge, so milk porridge itself might be a gift! I don’t like it much, so he can eat it all, and he was so happy.
Here is the popular Finnish Christmas recipe.
Milk Porridge – A Traditional Finnish Christmas Dish
- milk 100 mL
- water 200 mL
- rice 250 mL
- salt 1 tsp
- butter 1 Tbsp
- Place the water and rice in a pot and place over medium heat.
- Heat until water is absorbed, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add milk and heat over medium heat. Stir until the mixture becomes a thick porridge.
- Add salt and butter to taste and serve.
- Serve with cinnamon sugar and mixed fruit soup.
- Here, you can find Finnish traditional Christmas recipes.Traditional Christmas Recipes from FinlandA collection of traditional Finnish Christmas recipes. From casseroles, ham, and salmon to Christmas cake, gingerbread, and Christmas tarts!