Oyako don is one of the most popular don foods in Japan. Oyako means parents and children. I strongly recommend using chicken thigh for oyako don. In my opinion, the juicy texture of chicken thigh is important for oyako don. For Japanese food, like karaage, chicken thigh is more useful because of its texture and taste than chicken breast.
The dashi taste is also important for oyako don. I use dashi powder instead of fresh dashi, I explain about dashi in general in this article. Dashi has great smell and taste. The ingredients for fresh dashi can be three to four times more expensive abroad than in Japan so we need to think smart and ecological when making food.
Oyakodon, Japanese Don Food with Chicken and Egg
- rice 200 mL
- water (follow this instraction) 240 mL
- chicken thigh 300 g
- onion 200 g
- egg 2
- nori seaweed (fine cut)
- Cook rice as following the instruction
- Cut chicken to chunky pieces and slice onion thin.
- Turn the chicken over when it has changed color from raw pink to cooked color and add onion to the pan. Cover with lid and keep heating.
- When the onion becomes transparent, add all ingredients and heat covered with lid for a while.
- Break eggs into a bowl and mix roughly so that the yolk breaks.
- When the onion has got a taste of the seasoning, pour egg on the chicken and onions. Cover the pan with lid. [recipe-video]
- Turn off the heating and wait until the egg becomes half cooked.
- Put rice in a bowl and add a good amount of chicken on the rice.
- It’s ready! You can decorate with fine cut nori seaweed if you want.