Ricotta Cheese is Different from Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese and ricotta cheese are made the same way, but the ingredients are different.
Cottage cheese is made from cow’s milk, while ricotta cheese is made from the whey after the cheese is made. In other words, cottage cheese contains mainly casein, while ricotta cheese contains mainly whey protein.
The whey protein in whey dissolves better in water than casein. Therefore, before adding the vinegar, it is heated to a much higher temperature, which changes the shape of the protein. This is called thermal denaturation of the protein.
You Can Only Make a Little
After making Leipäjuusto with 1L of milk, there was about 800mL of whey left over. Heat this as the recipe says, add vinegar, and strain through a coffee filter. The cheese grains were so small that it took quite a while to strain them. The result was 40 grams of ricotta cheese, just enough to fit in the palm of your hand.
That’s all there is? I was surprised, but let’s think about it. Milk contains about 3.3% protein. Of that, about 80% is casein and about 20% is whey protein. In other words, whey protein is about 0.66% of milk. So you can only get a little.
Ricotta cheese is known as a way to reuse whey. However, only a small amount of ricotta cheese can be made from it. Some recipes say to add milk to increase the yield, but as the yield increases, so does the whey. The whey should be drunk quietly or used for bread and baked goods.
Ricotta Cheese – Homemade Cheese from Whey
- whey 1 L
- vinegar (5%) 4 Tbsp
- Measuring spoon
- silicone spatula
- Coffee dripper
- Coffee filte
- Put whey in a pan and heat up to 90°C.
- Add vinegar and mix well. A fairly fine lump of cheese will form.
- Set a coffee filter in a dripper.
- Pour the contents of the pot into the filter little by little.The whey will separate and the cheese will remain on the filter. The cheese is very fine, so it takes quite a while.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.
- I tried my hand at making bread cheese with a cottage cheese recipe.Can We Make Leipäjuusto Without Rennet?Leipäjuusto, bread cheese is famous food in Finland. We can make it at home easily. The only difficulty is to get rennet. Is rennet a must?
- Tofu, cheese, konjac, how do these foods solidify?The Science of Solidifying - How Cheese and Tofu SolidifyLlet's take a look at some of the foods that are solidified, such as cheese, tofu, and konjac. Do you know the mechanism how they harden?