The Essential Christmas Drink
I mentioned that the Christmas market started recently, but grog itself has been around for a long time and is a traditional drink. Different families add different spices, but the most common are cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and ginger. There are many variations, including allspice, star anise, oranges, raisins, and peeled almonds.
Try them all and find the one you like best.
Cassis Juice is a Must
Date Cake with Glögi
Here is the popular Finnish Christmas recipe.
Glögi, Finnish Hot Wine for Christmas, Glühwein
- water 150 mL
- white sugar 35 g
- concentrated blackcurrant juice 50 mL
- red wine 250 mL
- cinnamon stick 1
- clove (whole) 3
- cardamom (seed) 1/3 tsp
- ginger 5 g
- Blackcurrant juice can be substituted with thick grape juice.
- Place the water, white sugar and spices in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Simmer until fragrant, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the blackcurrant juice and red wine and bring to a boil.
- Delicious when dipping gingerbread into the glögi.Finnish Traditional Christmas Gingerbread, PiparkakkuThis is a recipe for gingerbread, a Finnish Christmas staple. Each family has its own taste, but this recipe is not too sweet.