The literal translation of yuzu kosho is citrus pepper, but there is no black pepper in it. It is a paste made by combining the peel of yuzu, a type of citrus fruit, and chili peppers. It has a refreshing citrus flavor and a spicy chili pepper taste, and goes well with light white fish, chicken, and pork. It is also delicious in pasta.
Yuzu is not available in Finland, so I made this with lemon and lime. Usually it is made with green yuzu and green chilies. The skin of the lime is green, so I combined it with green chili pepper as well as yuzu kosho. I made it with lemon and red pepper, and it turned out delicious too.
Yuzu Kosho, Citrus Chili Paste with Yuzu, Lemon and Lime
- lemon zest (or yuzu or lime zest, *1) 100 g
- chili pepper (30 pieces, *2, *3) 100 g
- salt (*4) 20 g
- Wash the lemon and chili well.
- Using a knife, peel the lemon.
- Wearing rubber gloves, remove the stems and seeds from the chili.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Place in a sterilized jar and store in the refrigerator.
- After a few days, when the flavors have mellowed, it is ready to eat.