Harvest form the Forest
In Finland, we are free to take berries and mushrooms from the forest. The mushroom season is not very long, but if you are in the right place at the right time, you can expect a big harvest. In 2021, HERKKUTATTI was a big hit, and I was able to fill up my freezer with mushrooms after just a few mushroom hunting trips.
The meatballs or salmon steak need not be too salty because they are full of umami. It’s a delicious dish that you can easily overeat.
Finnish Mushroom Sauce for Meatballs and Salmon Steaks
- mushrooms (your choice, *1, *2) 150 g
- butter 20 g
- flour 2 Tbsp
- milk 300 mL
- Salt and pepper
- Put butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- When the butter melts, add the mushrooms and saute well.
- When the mushrooms are cooked, add the flour and mix well immediately.
- Gradually add the milk. Add milk in small amounts, about 50 mL at a time, and mix quickly. After it is well mixed, add more milk and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.