I wanted to enjoy the bagels in various ways, so I made rusks out of them. French bread rusks are common, but bagel rusks gave a different texture than French bread rusks.
One of the nice things about homemade rusks is that you can enjoy a variety of flavors. The classic sugar butter is great, but this time I’ll introduce a garlic butter flavor that is perfect for snacking, and an orange peel flavor with a delicious sweet and bitter taste.
You can’t go wrong with garlic butter. If you like, you can sprinkle black pepper or parsley on it.
Rusk with Bagel Garlic Butter & Orange Peel
- bagel 1
- butter 10 g
- garlic 10 g
- orange (zest grated) 1
- white sugar 1 Tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Grate garlic and mix with butter.
- Grate the zest of 1 orange and mix with sugar.
- Cut the bagel in half and then slice into 3-4 equal pieces (*1).
- Place the sliced bagels on a cookie sheet lined baking sheet and cook in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet, flip the bagels over, and cook for another 5 minutes (*2).
- Remove the baking sheet, spread the garlic butter or orange peel on the bagels and cook for another 5 minutes (*3).
The orange peel will burn if it is cooked too long. Remove the peel when the sugar has melted and small bubbles start to appear.