You can find these oatmeal cookies in any supermarket in Finland. The store-bought ones are sweet, so I looked for a recipe to make them, but that one was also intensely sweet, so I improved it to be less sweet.
Large Grain Oatmeal for Crunch
And even with these oatmeal cookies, I found that the baking process depends on the state of the grains.
I had been using instant oatmeal, which contains crushed oatmeal, to make these cookies. But no matter how many times I tried, I could not get them to be as crispy as I wanted them to be.
Then I did some research on oatmeal and found out that there is a difference between oatmeal with and without crushed oatmeal, and I wondered if this would affect the cookies. Finally, I was able to make crispy oatmeal cookies.
Finnish Recipes Love Volume
By the way, in Finnish recipes, the units are volume. And not in mL, but in dL. Flour, oatmeal, milk, sugar, everything is expressed in dL. I’m not that familiar with dL, and I don’t see dL in many recipes from other countries, so I guess it’s unique to Finland.
I convert dL to g every time I make various dishes.
Super Easy Oatmeal Cookies, Classic Finnish Snack
- oatmeal (*1) 100 g
- brown sugar 25 g
- flour 10 g
- baking powder (2 tsp) 6 g
- egg 1
- butter 50 g
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter.
- Combine oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, and baking powder in a bowl and mix gently.
- Add the melted butter and mix well.
- Crack in the egg and mix well.
- Using a spoon, spread the dough into a circle on the baking sheet (*2). Use about 1 tablespoon per cookie.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on a cookie sheet to make them moist, or cool on a cake cooler to make them crispy.
Instant oatmeal with crushed oatmeal will be moist, while with only grains will be crispy.*2
The texture changes depending on how you spread it out.
If you spread it out thinly, it will be a crispy cookie.
If you make the middle thicker, the thicker part will remain moist. You can use any method you like.