Gingerbread is one of the most popular Christmas foods. And the spice cake is made with gingerbread spices.
Finnish Spice Cake
There are many different types of spice cakes in Finland. The types of spices used and the texture of the batter vary.
This gingerbread spice cake has a relatively fluffy texture compared to other cakes. It has a characteristic scent of ginger, the very scent of Christmas.
This one is without ginger and eggs. It contains cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Most Finnish cakes are chunky and stuffy, but this poor man’s cake is quite fluffy. The way it is made is also different from other cakes, with melted butter mixed in at the end.
Enjoy a Finnish Christmas with this classic Christmas cake.
Finnish Spice Cake – Gingerbread Spice Cake
- molasses 200 g
- white sugar 100 g
- gingerbread spice 3 tsp
- butter 100 g
- buttermilk 220 g
- milk 100 g
- egg 2
- bread flour 400 g
- baking soda 2 tsp
- Electronic scales
- Measuring spoon
- silicone spatula
- Cake mold (2L)
- Preheat the oven to 175℃.
- Grease the inside of the mold with butter and lightly flour.
- Place the flour and baking soda in a bowl and mix well.
- Place molasses, sugar, and gingerbread spice in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the sugar is melted, add the butter and let it melt.
- Pour in buttermilk and mix well.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the molds.
- Place in the middle or lower part of the oven and bake at 175°C for 50-60 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For more Finnish Christmas recipes, click here.Finnish Food for EverywhereCheck the Recipes contents Finnish Food for EverywhereFinnish Food for Everywhere Finnish Food for ...