Shokupan is the most popular bread in Japan. It is used for toast and sandwiches. It can be baked in a rectangular or cubic shape using a special mold with a lid, or baked in an oblong shape without a lid. It has a simple taste and it is very soft. Many families eat toast for breakfast.
When I was in Japan, I did not like Shoku Pan that much. However, when I came to Finland and found it hard to find, I wanted to eat it. The bread sold in Finland is not the same as Shoku Pan, as it is quite heavy and hard, so it is best to bake it yourself. Freshly baked bread is delicious, and one loaf goes quickly, so recently I’ve been baking two loaves at a time.
The mold I use is a Fuji Horo one for one loaf.ad
If you don’t have a bread mold, you can make mountain-shaped bread by baking it in a deep container.
- Different molds require different amounts of dough, so it is best to try a few times to find the right amount for your mold.The mold I use is Fuji Horo Shokupan bakeware.Amazon｜富士ホーロー ベイクウェア 食パン焼型 1斤 57287｜パン型 オンライン通販富士ホーロー ベイクウェア 食パン焼型 1斤 57287がパン型ストアでいつでもお買い得。お急ぎ便対象商品は当日お届けも可能。アマゾン配送商品は通常配送無料（一部除く）。
- If using fresh yeast, warm the milk to the temperature of human skin and mix it with the yeast.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and knead immediately with a stand mixer or a home baker.
- When the dough comes together and the surface becomes smooth, stop kneading.
- Roll the dough into a ball and cover with a wet cloth or plastic wrap.
- Allow the dough to ferment at room temperature or in the oven. Fermentation is complete when the dough has doubled in size in 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Butter the bread mold if necessary.
- Gently press the dough to release the gas.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts and roll them.
- Roll out with a rolling pin.
- Fold both sides of the dough to make it narrower than the width of the bread mold.
- Roll out with rolling pin.
- Roll up tightly from the front.
- Place the dough roll end side down in the bread mold.
- Close the lid and allow the dough to ferment at room temperature or in the oven. Allow the dough to ferment for 1 to 2 hours until it fills the mold. Tap the lid with your finger, and if it sounds stuck, it is time to bake.
- To prevent over-fermentation, start baking at 2 hours. If the dough does not fill the mold, remove the lid and bake it to make a mountain-shaped bread.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Bake in the middle section of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, drop the mold onto a cutting board or stand to make it easier to remove the bread.
- Remove from the mold and serve. Cool the bread thoroughly before slicing for a clean cut.
The mold I use is a Fuji Horo one for one loaf.