Green Beans Gomaae, Japanese Salad with Sesame
Gomaae is traditional Japanese salad with sesame paste. This recipe is with green beans, but you can enjoy with any vegetables you like.
- green beans (see note below) 100 g
- roasted sesame seeds (Reference recipe is this) 2 tablespoon
- soy sauce 2 teaspoon
- brown sugar 2 teaspoon
- Boil the green beans, drain thoroughly, and cut them into pieces.
- Ground the sesame seeds until there are just small grains left.
- Mix grated sesame seeds, soy sauce and sugar.
- Mix in green beans and it’s ready!
In Japan, I used to make sesame dressing with men-tsuyu, but since it's a luxury item overseas, I made this recipe without the men-tsuyu. I also used to add a little bit of dashi stock to it. What vegetables should I use with sesame dressing? In Finland, the easiest vegetables to get are carrots. Pretty paprika, bitter Brussels sprouts, and kale are also good. All kinds of vegetables are good with sesame dressing. I believe that the key is to use raw vegetables, not frozen. I would like to have fresh spinach with sesame paste, but it is a rare find here, and if you make it with frozen spinach, you will be disappointed with the lack of crunch.
share your dish!